CHIA is a natural, nutrient dense seed whose beneficial properties are being rediscovered today.
Centuries ago, CHIA was a major staple of the of the Aztecs and the natives of the Southwest. It was used as a raw material in medicines and foods, its nutritious flour lasting in reserves for years. On hunting or trade forays CHIA was the main food taken to give potent energy and endurance to the Aztecan warriors & runners. The equivalent of 1 tablespoon mixed with water was said to have enough energy to sustain a man’s endurance for 24 hrs.
Chia was THE super food of the Americas.
Today scientific studies have analyzed CHIA. It is confirmed to have many benefits which are listed below.
CHIA is a high protein source (one of the highest among nutritional grains). It is also high in potassium, calcium, Omega 3 & 6 fatty acids, alpha-linolenic acids, Vit. B’s, Vit. C, Vit E, antioxidants, boron, and fiber. One of the unique nutritional properties of CHIA is that it provides one of the highest sources of Omega 3 fatty acids. Omega 3 is fragile, it oxidizes quickly; oftentimes when we ingest sources that are known to provide Omega 3, by the time the food is consumed, the Omega 3’s have oxidized and degraded. Therefore many people & animals end up high in Omega 6’s and lacking in Omega 3’s. Unlike flax or other foodstuffs, Chia’s Cinnamic acids guard the omega-3 oils from oxidation.
Percent of Omega-3 per same size serving:
Chia Salvia hispanica 62.3%
Flax Linum usitatissimum 54.6%
Hemp Cannabis sativa 19.9%
Borago officinalis 0.5%
Evening Primrose Oenothera biennis 0.45%
HYDROPHILIC PROPERTIES OF CHIA:
“One of the unique qualities of the chia seed is its ability to absorb more than nine times its volume in water or other liquid. This ability can prolong hydration and retain electrolytes in body fluids, especially during exertion or exercise. Normal fluid retention ensures electrolyte dispersion across cell membranes, maintains fluid balances, and aids normal cellular function.” (quote from Chiaforhealth.com)
CHIA when soaked in water will absorb over 9 times its weight in water and will also create a gelatinous mucilagenous liquid. Chia gel causes a slow release of carbohydrates and slow conversion of carbohydrates into glucose (blood sugar) for energy. This action within the digestive tract, tends to slow digestion and sustain even blood sugar levels. CHIA also is an excellent source of fiber and optimizes movement of waste for elimination. For horses it is said to be even more effective than psyllium to prevent Sand Colic. The chia itself is easily digested and absorbed resulting in rapid transport of nutrients to the body’s cells. It is an excellent aid for diabetic people and insulin resistant horses or animals.
Now that you know a little more about CHIA, here is what CHIA can do for Horses, Pets, & People. We include everyone because the CHIA available at Just Equus is free of pesticides, and a high quality ‘human grade’ food.
FOR HORSES (including Pets & People) it..
- Helps prevent Laminitis in Horses
- Helps prevent Insulin Resistance
- Helps prevent Ulcers in Horses & everyone
- More effectively aids in Sand Clearing than Psyllium
- Is the only readily available feed ingredient high in
Omega 3 fatty acids without processing.
- Provides the perfect balance of Omega 3’s to Omega 6’s.
- Is Super Anti-Oxidant – that is why it can last so long
without going rancid or losing its nutritive value – it last
- Is Low NSC & Non-Gluten.
- Provides a complete balanced Protein source.
- Aids in clearing the Digestive Tract (best fiber source).
- Clears SAND more effectively than Psyllium.
- Benefits Insulin Resistant horses, diabetic pets & people
– as it helps to sustain even blood sugar levels.
- Chia is easily digested and absorbed for superior
- Contains highest alpha-linolenic acid concentrations than
any other seed or grain. This substance lowers the risk of
- Contains large amounts of B vitamins.
- Has 5 times more Calcium than milk.
- Has 3X times more Iron than spinach
- Has 15X times more magnesium than broccoli.
- It’s hydrophilic properties give it the ability to help
prolong hydration and retain electrolytes in body fluids,
especially during exertion or exercise.
- Can be stored up to 2 YEARS (in dry storage) and still
maintain its nutritive properties!
- Natural & grown with NO Pesticides.
- Is easy to feed, simply top dress a small amount.
- NO Processing Required!
- HORSES LOVE CHIA!
* * *
Wishing Vibrant Health to You, Your Horses, & Your Pets!